Friday, November 2, 2007

Jungle Fruit

Guayabas

I have to say that one of the things I enjoyed most about living in Yarina was all of the fruit we had to eat there. So when the guayabas come ripe here in California, I can't help but eat a lot of them, even though they are white guayabas, which I steered clear of in Peru. One of the houses I ride my bike past on my way to school has a tree that hangs out over the sidewalk, so I grab at them as I ride by and feast as I 'commute'. I have managed to find a number of other jungle treats here as well, but none of them are really any good. The mangos are flavorless (and never a very good variety anyways), I have found carambola (star apples) and pepino dulce, but they are always so unripe that I have never brought myself to shell out the cash for them. I do occasionally buy platanos or yuca to fry, and that is satisfying. What are some of your fruit stories? I know Josh has a good story about climbing mango trees with Michael. Care to share it here, Josh? I fell out of a Mamay tree one time while racing Michael out to the end of a branch for what we both felt was the perfect Mamay. I'm pretty sure we broke a branch out of Charlotte Zahn's tree that day, and if I remember correctly, we booked it out of there to avoid the wrath of the angry German woman. Which reminds me of a funny thing. Alex Lockhart took care of Charlotte Zahn's cat one time while she was away, and I went to the house with him once. On her bathroom shelf she had this little plastic toilet, about 6 inches tall. Curious, I picked it up to check it out. I lifted the toilet lid, and the thing squirted me in the face! I must say I did not expect that from the old lady who couldn't get out of first gear on her motorcycle and was always yelling at the kids in her fruit trees. So, this was supposed to be about fruit. Oh well. Go ahead, share a thought. Come, let us reminisce.

No comments: